Adam's Adventures in Oz

The Unheroic Journey: Adam's Adventures in Oz

Friday, October 29, 2010

What I learned from Russell Crowe

I have determined that sending an email to Australia is a lot like using a telegraph during World War II. I send a message than a week later I might get one back hearings that Normandy beach has finally been invaded. I received my BUNAC/ IEP logon ID number, which of course did not work, mostly because  of Adam’s Law. (All things being relative, nothing will ever be easy for Adam.) Therefore, I sent an email to the help desk that probably arrived about 3 am on Saturday morning in Sydney Australia… Long story short after about two weeks I finally have it straightened out.

I am slowly realizing that Australia may move at a pace that my American (I need everything done now) attitude may have to adjust to. However, I do not think that may be a bad thing. As a society we have come to rely too heavily on instant gratification. We want our meals cooked at the speed of microwave, our questions answered at the speed of Google™ and thanks to Facebook and Twitter we want to know where everyone is at every point of the day. It may be nice to go to a different country where the pace may be a bit slower… (Of course I am basing this whole assumption on the fact that it took a week to answer my email, it could just be a slow internet connection, but I have high hopes.)

Regardless, I can now begin my final preparations. I need to get a new cell phone number, a bank account so I can transfer money back and forth, and an Aussie Tax ID number, which is apparently only slightly less important to Aussies than a Social Security number is to Americans. I can even begin looking for a job, which prospects at first glance do not seem to be too great. My options seem to be working at a hotel or working at a hotel. I am hopeful that there will be more positions when I look in earnest a week or two before I am ready to leave.

More Importantly, I am trying to get together a wish list of things I want to do while in Australia. I plan to post it as a sidebar to this blog and keep it updated as I accomplish and add tasks to it. I am always welcome to suggestions, as currently most of my ideas are boring, mundane, or probably way too expensive. 

I have nothing really witty to leave off on, so I'll leave you with a quote I recently found by Russell Crowe, “God bless America. God save the Queen. God defend New Zealand and thank Christ for Australia.”

No comments:

Post a Comment