Adam's Adventures in Oz

The Unheroic Journey: Adam's Adventures in Oz

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Rock and Roll and the Post Office

So I finally am beginning to feel like my old self. Yesterday I visited my Alma Mater, TCNJ (or The College of New Jersey, for those of you who might be baffled why "The" gets its own abbreviation.) I saw some people, had some lunch. I also did some assorted errands, etc. I sent some Christmas packages... which I don't recommend. I have never waited in line to get concert tickets but I imagine it is something like the experience I had at the post office. I am pretty sure there was guy in a tent waiting for the doors to open. And yesterday marked my last day of teaching. I gave my final for the Writing Composition class I teach.

All in all it was a modest day, but a good one. Walking around TCNJ I was beginning to feel the old confidence returning. (Not that I had a whole heck of a lot to begin with...) This mini-vacation from work and stress may be just what I need to get my head screwed back on, before I set sail (figure of speech) on my voyage. The campus of TCNJ has that effect on me. It tends to remind me of better days and better times.

I also discovered yesterday that I do not necessarily need an international drivers license... After I spent $10 on passport photos. Apparently, the only people who recommend you get an international license is the US State Department... and I suspect they have a vested interest in receiving the $20 fee. Now that I am jobless, I just do not know if I have the money to be spending on a license I don't need.

I was also saddened to discover yesterday that the exchange rate between Australia and America has about flattened out. Originally, I thought the rate would benefit me by a few extra thousand dollars... but turns out that is not true now. What's worse, I was looking at prices over there, and I will give you a few items I found. Just bear in mind that the exchange rate is now $1 to A$1.

-6 Pack of Beer - A$8.00
-Movie Ticket - A$15.00
-Cup of Coffee - A$3.00 (not Starbucks)
-Cover Charge for a Nightclub - A$20.00 (okay that's pretty aligned with America actually)

Either way, I am starting to think that maybe I can go without that $20 international license. On the flip side, it is looking like minimum wage work nets anywhere from A$15 to A$18 an hour. I never made that working the cash register at A&P or sweeping the floors at St. Philips Church.

All and all, I am trying not to concern myself with monetary issues. I am $10,000 over the recommended value that they advise you take with you when going on a trip of this caliber. I should be able to live comfortably, (assuming I find a job), and still be able to enjoy the country. At the very least I will be able to live better than when I was in grad school. I may not even have to skip meals to save money.

On a side note, I am releasing this blog to the public today, and by public I mean people on Facebook. So if you are reading, or even enjoying my ramblings. I want to thank you and there will be more to come along with pictures and much better stories and insights. At the very least when I talk about nonsense it will be in Australia, so it will have the appearance of sounding interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment