Adam's Adventures in Oz

The Unheroic Journey: Adam's Adventures in Oz

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Adam's Adventures in NZ: The Fellowship of Me

Because what kind of trip would it be without a picture of an
ironic and symbolic road sign?
Question: What country is perpetually lost in the shadow of its larger and more influential brother, has a slightly smaller population of people, but has a similar yet slightly funnier sounding accent to that of their more well known cousin-country, is populated by nice courteous people, has snow, follows hockey, and has glaciers? If you answered anything else but New Zealand, you would be wrong. (Ahh, I tricked you.) They truly are the Canada of the Southern Hemisphere. It is a statement I feel confident in saying as many Canadians that I have met has agreed with me. However, I also have to point that the Kiwi (That is what you call someone from New Zealand) also has a fierce rivalry with their Aussie cousins, that Australia barely knows about or pays attention to. It is very similar to how Canadians think of Americans and how Americans never think of Canadians... at all.

So I decided that while I was guest in this part of the world I would be remiss if I did not spend some time in Australia's little brother. Thus, after spending a night sleeping in Sydney Airport, I hopped a Qantas flight to Auckland, New Zealand. On arrival I was met with a security inspection where (just like when I landed in Australia) I was pulled aside for a more "thorough" check. Apparently, to the people of New Zealand, I look suspicious... Regardless, once I managed to get through security, exchange my funny looking Australian money for funny looking New Zealand money, and collect my rental car, I found myself in a place that I can only describe as a mixture between Ireland and Hawaii. After more than 5 months in Australia I feel like I might have forgotten what real green grass looked like, but there is plenty to see in the emerald isles of New Zealand. It is interesting how Australia and New Zealand can be so close to one another yet they could not be more different.

Ahh, reminds me of some cold Saddle Brook nights.
Even the Kiwi history is distinct and all its own. The first people to reach the country were of Polynesian descent around 1280 AD. The first European to arrive in New Zealand was the Dutch explorer, Abel Tasman. Dutch cartographers named the land Nova Zeeland, after the Dutch province of Zeeland. It was Captain James Cook (yeah that guy again) that would anglicise it to become New Zealand. Cook visited the islands in 1770, about a 100 years after Abel Tasman. Afterwards, the waters around New Zealand started becoming used by British, French, and American whalers and trading ships. The native Maori people were uncanny traders and enjoyed bartering for the new goods. Of course after traders came missionaries to bring religion to the "Godless Heathens," but that is another story. When Sydney was founded in 1788, the Australian colonists (prisoners) showed no real interest in New Zealand. (Why would we want that lush tropical islands, when we can have this arid desert?) However, at this point the islands of New Zealand had become sort of a haven for escaped prisoners, sailors, and anyone looking to escape government. Partially, in response to this in 1839, the Australian colony of New South Wales was expanded to include New Zealand. What followed next was what usually follows when the British move into areas already populated by indigenous people. Promises were made and broken, and in 1841 New Zealand was established as a separate colony from Australia. The next 40 years would see a sharp increase in immigration with people coming from England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, the United States, India, and China. The discovery of Gold in 1861 spurred the quick and rapid settling of New Zealand's south island. The south island event tried to become its own separate colony, but that motion was defeated 17 to 31.

In 1901, when Australia became a commonwealth it invited New Zealand along, but the Kiwi didn't really like that idea. So in 1907, they decided to become their own commonwealth. This sort of casual rejection of anything Australian will partially mark the culture of New Zealand for the next hundred years. Try calling a Kiwi an Aussie and you'll probably get a swift punch in the nose (okay so maybe they're not as polite as Canadians, but really who is.)

Auckland, New Zealand. The City of Ehh...
I started my New Zealand adventure by staying my first day in Auckland. It is the largest and most populated city in New Zealand. With that said I was able to walk through the entire downtown area in a little over an hour. I must admit to not having a true affinity for this city, that should be the New York City of New Zealand (or at least the Vancouver of new Zealand.) However, in my travels I learned that I was not alone. Most backpackers, and most Kiwi themselves seem to not particularly like Auckland. It is a place almost devoid of any sort of cultural feel or outstanding uniqueness to it (aside from the Wendy's restaurant I found in the downtown area.) The city has a harbor, a marina area, a large mall, and a skytower, which was built 50 meters taller than the Centrepoint Tower in Sydney. (They just couldn't resist.) Perhaps the most exciting feature of Auckland was Mt. Eden which offered a panoramic view of the city, but I couldn't tell you much about it, since when I hiked up to its summit I was met with nothing but mist and fog (a trend that would seem to follow me through the rest of my adventuring in this country.)

A Kiwi who I met told me that the best thing about Auckland was leaving it, and I couldn't help but agree. So after a night of sleeping in my car I was more than eager to set off on my quest across this strange new country. I say quest because for anyone who truly knows me, you know one of the real reasons I came to New Zealand (Hint: 13-letters, Ruler of jewelery,) but that is another blog.

For the majority of my stay in New Zealand I found myself driving through lush forests, towering mountains, and rolling fields of farm yards and cattle. There is no denying the natural beauty and wonder of this small and interesting country. Both the North and South Islands sit on geological fault lines which cause the formations of massive volcanoes, earthquakes, and ice flows. The whole damn country is ready to explode and sink back into the sea at any moment, but maybe that is part of the fun. The geology of this country is very much alive and because of that its beauty is all that more startling. There is so much to do and see on these two small islands that I feel as if I did not give myself ample enough time to see or experience even a faction of it. Though, I did try and I can only hope you will choose to stay with me as I venture across this newer and stranger country.

No comments:

Post a Comment