Adam's Adventures in Oz

The Unheroic Journey: Adam's Adventures in Oz

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Home on the Coast

View from the home of John and Roz.
My next stop was a place called the Gold Coast. The best way I can describe this long stretch of beaches and retail shopping would be to try and have you picture Miami. In fact, there is even a section of the beach called, Miami. Huge resorts, hotels, and malls tower over the sands and the thousands of people that flock there to lay under the ozone-less sun of Australia. I have visited many beaches in my time in Australia, but it has been a long time since I actually found one where I felt like I was at home. Australians do not always see beaches the dame way Americans do. They are for surfing, or fishing, and maybe vacationing, but the Gold Coast is full of people treating the beach exactly as we do in America. As for myself, I spent my days laying on the beach with a book and catching up on some sun.

The Gold Coast of Australia is the perfect place to get some sun or some waves. With ten different beaches stretched over 160 miles, you have your pick of both. As far beach front resorts go, the Gold Coast is one of the most recognizable areas in Australia. Perhaps then it is not surprising that the GC is also one of the American places I have been in this country. Over a hundred miles of golden sand and surf mingled with the kind of garish and glistening retail and resort areas you can only find in America. As much as I often applaud the spread of American culture to other countries, sometimes I see places like the the mains street of the GC, stuffed with stores selling Gucci and Ugs, and I wonder if maybe we sometimes don't go a little too far with our influence. Still, the "shore" feeling of the Gold Coast is inescapable. It is the kind of place where you can smell the salt air and hear the seagulls calling wherever you go. It is the kind of place where you can't help but feel relaxed by the feeling of the sun and sound of waves crashing against the beach. It is the kind of place where you feel like your one vacation, even when your not.

As for my own status of vacation, I can never truly say if what I am doing should be considered vacation, as traveling tends to give as much stress as it relieves. Still, while in the Gold Coast I find a modicum of peace, especially since I did not have to be crammed into a questionably clean dorm room with questionably bathed people. I actually managed to find the best kind of accommodation one can come by for a few days, a small home in the suburb.

John and Tony's pride and joy, a Pontiac Firebird.
For any loyal reader who might remember my former roommates, Tony and Lina, from Melbourne, Tony actually grew up in South Queensland, right near the Gold Coast in a small suburb named Robina. While living with my two friends I had some occasion to Tony's parents, John and Roz, who still live on the Gold Coast. Long story short they extended and invite to come and stay with them as I made my way down the east coast. So, all these months later, since I was in the area, I decided that maybe it was time I take a break for a few days and stay in a place where I don't have to fight for shower time or deal with drunk roommates at 4 in the morning. I happily accepted the invitation.

Thus, it was that I came to spend a few days and a few nights with John and Roz. I stayed with my two new Australian friends, as well as Roz's mother who was also staying for the week. So as I spent my days lounging on the beach I spent my nights eating family dinners and watching TV and talking about anything ranging from politics to American history. I must say that as thrilling as the beach and the resorts were, I found that staying with such nice and accommodating people actually was the highlight of my time on the coast. They treated me like I was part of the family, not only by offering me full run of the kitchen but also by inviting me to have home-cooked dinner with them every night. I enjoyed the few traditional Australian dinners, I ate, especially the meat pie. I had never had a pie of meat, and they were even more shocked to hear that it was not a standard dish in America. I was made to feel so welcome that not only was I given a tour of the home and the area, but also of John's shop.

A cabinent maker by trade he showed me where he worked as spent his days. It was quite enjoyable to see, especially since the entire shop was filled with a favorable wood smell, and pictures of all sorts of cars. Being a bit of an Americophile (A term I just coined to describe people who are really into American stuff), my new Australian friend (very much like his son) is into most things American, but especially cars. He gave me a ride in his Pontiac Firebird, which had been converted (at some cost) to left side drive for use in Australia. In the family garage they also have liscense plates from almost every state in the USA, and as I was visting, a New Jersey plate was proudly added to the collection. I was also informed that up until a few years ago the Gold Coast had held a large Fourth of July celebration and still has the tradition of trick or treating around Halloween (which is custom you can find no where else in Australia.)

As for my own part, I tried to play the courteous guest and I did my best to answer their many questions about my home country. They of course hit me with the usual questions and conversations regarding my home country, ranging from the movies to my thoughts on the Obama presidency. I have often said that one of the reasons I believe Tony and Lina originally selected me as their roommate all those many months before was not so much that I was clean or respectful, but because I was American. I somehow think I was not so much selected as collected. I can now see how Tony's passion for all things American, (whether it be cars or Seinfeld) comes so strongly from his parents. Still, I was more than happy to spend my time conversing about the difference between Australia and America to my temporary family. I was more than thankful for all they had done for me while I stayed under their roof, and as a thank you I even decided to cook them a traditional American meal, chicken parmigiana.

Its enough to make a man feel at home.
Okay, so maybe its more of a traditional North New Jersey meal, but let's not split hairs. It is really the only dish I can cook with some competence and flair, so it was going to have to do. They didn't mind since Australian chicken parm is radically different from American chicken parm. In Australia whenever I have seen chicken parm it has been served in pubs (weird) with french fries (weirder) and baked on top are thing such as ham and salami (weirdest). It can often come with other choices such as pineapple or even beets. So I decided to make my chicken parm the way my mother always did. I breaded the chicken, seasoned my own sauce, added three kinds of cheeses and baked at the proper temperature. Along with the chicken I also made a large portion of pasta and oven cooked bread. I made five plates (as Roz's brother was also in attendance for the spectacle I had made of myself while in the kitchen,) and made sure to heap on as much food as possible. We all laughed over the American-sized portions which I served, but in the end it seemed to me like my Australian friends had no problem finishing what "so much food."

I only stayed with the family for three nights, but I was thankful for the time, the food, and company I kept while I was in their home. After all, the Gold Coast was nice, but having people to share a warm home-made meal with is something even more special. Still, I was not completely done with my time on the GC. I still had two night ahead of me in the most famous section of the shoreline, a small little place called Surfer's Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment