Adam's Adventures in Oz

The Unheroic Journey: Adam's Adventures in Oz

Friday, January 28, 2011

The Great Ocean Road

Click the Picture above to access the photo
album for my day on the Great Ocean Road.
So now we come to how I spent my Australian Day. My plan was to spend a quiet day on St. Kilda Beach with a book and some sun, but my friend Lauren (aka Loz) decided that it would be an excellent day to road trip the Great Ocean Road (or at least part of it.) So it came to pass that I found myself sitting in her 1985 light blue Mitsubishi whipping around blind corners over sheer rock faces on the Shipwreck Cost. My anxiety came, not so much from her driving, but from the fact that I had no idea where we were going and because I was sitting in the seat of the car which I normally associate as being the driver's side.

So as we traveled down the wrong (left) side of the road and the view just opened up in front of you. All you could see was beautiful coast line, rolling green hills, and a crazy curvy road cut through it all. We hit several beaches (both rocky and sandy), visited Apollo Bay Beach, saw wild Koala's outside a trailer park near Kennett River, and finished up the day visiting the 12 Apostles, which are huge standing rock formations just off the coast near Princetown. Unfortunately there are no longer 12 structures as many have fallen down over the years, but there still are some standing. I even had my first "Fish and Chips" lunch. Basically you order and assortment of fish such as flounder, calamari, scallops, etc, and fries. It comes all fried and wrapped together in a big thing of paper which you rip open and pick at. It was quite good, but very hot.

All in all it was a beautiful day, and I have never seen water look so blue or a coastline so amazing. Though I miss the Jersey Shore there is no comparison. This is what Australia looks like and I simply cannot describe it in the meandering clumsy way I have with words. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, if you click on the picture of me at the left you should be directed to an album I set up of several pictures I took that day. Look at them for yourself and be your own judge. I promise you that you will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. My hate for you aside, as I stare out the window at 3 ft. of snow, I applaud your commitment to the OZ theme. Just be careful who hears you refer to yourself as Dorothy.

    ReplyDelete