Adam's Adventures in Oz

The Unheroic Journey: Adam's Adventures in Oz

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Adel-Kool-Aide

Adelaide has some interesting architectural stylings. 
So I have now been a few days in the city known as Adelaide. It is not as busy, crowded, or rush-rush as a city like Melbourne (if that seems possible), but still, in the short time I have spent here I have come to enjoy the city. All the Australians I have met have always been down on Adelaide. I would tell people, "Oh, I'm going to Adelaide next," and the response would usually be, "Why would you want to go to Adelaide?," or "There is nothing in Adelaide." Thus, I was given a very poor impression of the city before I ever stepped on its soil, but I have enjoyed my time here. (At least its not Hobart.)

Granted, if I were to give you an American equivalent of Adelaide, I would probably say it is like the Indianapolis or Cincinnati of Australia, but even Cin City (I am sure) has its charms. Adelaide, for instance, is the only Australian city that was planned in a convenient and easy to navigate grid. It was the first city in Australia to be founded by freemen and not prisoners, and it is a town that seems to have the architectural styling of Medieval England and the French Quarter of New Orleans. Also, there is a lot of "Adult Entertainment" shops. That's not my cup of tea, but I am sure some people would enjoy that.

Adelaide has some beautiful parks.
Speaking of tea, the hostel I am staying at has free tea all day and free pancakes in the morning. (It doesn't get much better than that.) Adelaide Central YHA is probably one of the nicest hostels I have ever stayed at. It is clean, has a variety of amenities, such as a common room full of couches, pool tables, and promises of activities such as cheap pizza night, game nights, and pub crawls. However, I have learned one thing about traveling in hostels in Australia. "Mixed" male/female dorm rooms sounds like a really good idea on paper, but in practicality you end up sleeping with a Japanese family of three who never leaves the room.

As for my adventures in Adelaide, I took the same approach to this city as I did in Melbourne, I went out with the intentions of getting lost, and along the way I found many interesting sights, sounds, and people. I even stumbled across three comic book shops, a Toys R'Us, Adelaide University, and a few beautiful parks and interesting sculpture choices. There was also your usual slathering of street performers and among them a friend of mine named, Wing, who I met in the hostel. He is a yo-yo expert and is here to try and compete in the yo-yo competition coming up in a month. For now he is making some spare change just performing his craft in the streets. He also does balloon animals.
Adelaide has balls.

Adelaide is a surprising town and though I have only spent a few days here. It is clean, friendly, and there is surprisingly more to do here than initially believed. I have enjoyed my time in Adelaide, and maybe I'll find my way back here someday. It might be nice to have a bit more time in this quaint little St. Louis of the southern hemisphere.

Editor's Note: I have discovered why most Australians are so down on Adelaide. It is mainly because they are not in the "know." Apparently Adelaide is one of the more affluent cities in Australia and it is home to the major families and land owners (including the very rich and very powerful Kidman family... yeah that Kidman...) So most Australians find the city boring because they don't know the right people, but if you know the right people apparently there is a crazy nightlife to be had. I, however, do not know the right people, but I still think it is a great town.

No comments:

Post a Comment