Adam's Adventures in Oz

The Unheroic Journey: Adam's Adventures in Oz

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Serious Issue

So I had prepared a rather humorous blog for tonight full of lively social commentary, bad movie references, and other such insightful comments that it probably would have made your head explode from its shear awesomeness, but I am putting that one on hold, as there is a serious matter happening in this part of the world that I feel the need to address. Namely that there has been a real tragedy in New Zealand, (and I'm not talking about the rise of Sauron.)

New Zealand unfortunately resides on the Ring of Fire, which are the huge volatile tectonic plates that make up the Pacific Ocean (not the Johnny Cash song as I am sure some of you were thinking.) Yesterday about 1:00 pm NZ time an earthquake measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale struck the city of Christchurch, which (as I am sure many Americans are aware) is New Zealand's second largest city. That would be like Los Angeles getting devastated by an Earthquake. The population of Christchurch is 376,700, (okay so maybe its more like Witchita, Kansas being devastated by an Earthquake, but you get what I am saying,) and currently there are 75 people confirmed dead, but that total rises every hour. There are still 300 people missing, presumably buried under the tons of ruble in the downtown district.

The Earthquake struck at the worst possible time, during the height of the lunch hour. Tourists and business-people alike were enjoying lunch in the many cafes and were conducting their lives as normal within the skyscrapers and buildings of Christchurch when the quake started. Many buildings just collapsed while others only partially crumbled leaving hundreds of people trapped. I watched the footage of the news and it is truly horrifying. It reminded me a lot of the footage of 9-11. Buildings were falling, people were running for their lives, people in business suites were creating make-shift ladders to rescue other trapped people, and power/water/utilities are out all over the city. Some hospitals had to be abandoned due to fear of collapse, leaving doctors and nurses to treat patients in parks and open spaces without proper facilities. the city has since suffered hundreds of small aftershocks, and currently special rescue teams are heading to New Zealand from both Australia and America to help with the efforts.

The worst part is that this comes only 6 months after the last earthquake suffered by Christchurch. (If you never heard about that, it is because it came in the dead of the night and the damage was relatively small in comparison.) It is a horrible and heart-wrenching event. Christchurch was a beautiful city on the banks of the River Avon. The main attraction was the Christ Church Cathedreal, which was large beautiful chruch erected in 1864. The main tower spire collapsed with several people inside it. I had even planned on visiting the city when I stopped over in New Zealand for a while... I don't know I still might, if only to pay my respects.

Truthfully, I am beginning to question the stability of this entire region. Sometimes I wonder if I am not standing on a ticking Atlantis-like time bomb waiting to go off. So far in my tenure in Australia (about 7 weeks), I have seen massive flooding, bushfires, a hurricane the size of the continental US, and now an earthquake that crippled a major New Zealand city. I don't think I would be surprised if in three weeks the "sun became black as sackcloth, [and] the full moon became like blood," and I hear Jesus is scheduled to make a special appearance at the Rod Laver Arena in downtown Melbourne. (I think he is opening up for Usher).

I also want to add the disclaimer that I am not making light of any of the serious issues surrounding this or any of the other tragedies that have befallen this part of the world. I am just writing in the only manner I know how to, and I mean no offense in my style or comments. There are many families still unsure of the fate of their loved ones, and that is nothing to joke about. My thoughts are with all the victims and their families, and I would ask for you to do the same this week as you go about your daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment